Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Home Main Site Games Dating Video Links Directory Domains HelpSearchLoginRegister More Forums  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fujifilm Finepix F550EXR - Review (Read 4754 times)
UnBore Admin
YaBB Administrator

I'm in charge here

North Yorkshire, UK
Fujifilm Finepix F550EXR - Review
May 11th, 2011 at 4:32am

So, I thought I'd take the opportunity to write up a review for one of my latest toys - The Fujifilm Finepix F550EXR digital camera.
RRP'ed at a penny shy of 330, but sold for much less. It set me back about 287, but almost straight afterwards the price for it on Amazon UK has dropped to the 235 - 275 mark. Don't ya just love it when that happens? Smiley

Anyway, it's surely one of the best digital camera's yet made. It may be small enough to fit into a pocket, but it has functions like GPS tagging + specs that'll beat the crap outta much larger camera's, for instance..........

My trust old (c. 2007) Fuji S6500fd (S6000fd in North America) has 6.3megapixels in available from it's excellent Fuji Super-CCD imaging sensor.
This new pocket sized one has 16megapixels from it's new EXR-CMOS sensor.

My Fuji S6500fd has a 28-300mm Zoom lens that allows for 10.3x Optical zoom (and very good it is too.... it can pick off objects 3miles away or more).

This F550EXR has 24-360mm Zoom lens that gives it a 15x Optical zoom, and it's also capable of taking wider angle pics & should be great for MACRO work too.

It has built-in GPS tagging, but I still haven't quite got me head round making that work properly yet.

It has a funky blue l.e.d in the middle of the On/Off button.

The F550EXR also has a variety of Film Simulation modes, as once available on Fuji's top of the range S5 Pro DSLR + S100fs "Bridge camera" I once yearned after so much. They replicate Fuji's good old camera films, and depending what mode you've got the camera set at, it gives you choice of:
- Provia(standard)
- Velvia
- Astia
- Black & White
- Sepia

My Fuji S6500fd only had a choice of
- Standard
- Chrome
- Black & White

Turning the dial to the "Adv." position gives you access to the Camera's "360 Panoramic" mode, which lets you take panoramic pictures by holding down the shutter and sweeping the camera from left to right - I've tried doing it from right to left, but you just get a message flash up on the screen, whinging at you.
The "Adv." position on the dial also gives you access to "Pro Focus" and "Pro low-light" modes.

Turning the dial to the camera icon sticks it in "Automatic" mode, but i've not played around with that bit much yet.

Sticking the dial into the "EXR" position gives you the camera's cleverest box of tricks.... "EXR Mode", where Fuji's EXR technology gets fully unleashed. You get a choice of:
- EXR Auto
- Resolution Priority
- High ISO & Low Noise
- D-Range Priority
Taking it out of "EXR Auto" gives you access to the full compliment of "Film Simulation" modes. Sticking it into "EXR Auto" (or "idiot proof mode" I suppose you could nickname it) limits you to "Standard", "B&W" + "Sepia" modes, but still lets you pull off professional quality shots.

The "SP" (Scene Position) is the other main one the average photographer needs bother themselves with, and contains a very big selection of clever modes:
- Natural Light + Flash
- Natural Light
- Portrait
- Portrait Enhancer
- Dog
- Cat
- Landscape
- Sport
- Night
Continues.....

The Administrator.
WWW jduck1979 505982434 jduck1979 johnd19792003  
IP Logged

UnBore Admin
YaBB Administrator

I'm in charge here

North Yorkshire, UK
Re: Fujifilm Finepix F550EXR - Review
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2011 at 5:04am

.... continued:
As I was saying, before I ran out of characters... "SP" mode... in addition to the 9 "Scene Position" (SP) modes I'd listed before I left off, there's also:
- Night (Tripod)
- Fireworks
- Sunset
- Snow
- Beach
- Underwater (seperate waterproof case required)
- Party
- Flower
- Text
So that makes for a total of about 18 different SP modes to set the camera up for any situation.

The zoom is operated via a ring around the shutter.

You can also shoot video's (and zoom in & out while recording) by pressing the button with the red camera button - press it to record, press it again to stop recording.

To look back at pictures / video's you've already taken, press the GREEN arrow button.

Power is provided by an NP-50 rechargeable battery, which slots inside a cover on the button of the camera (same side as the shutter button). Also underneath is a hole to screw the camera to a Tripod.

The flash works well, but pops up everytime you fire-up the camera (but only goes off when it has to), so makes a bit of a nuisance of itself sometimes.

The screen works great (i'd almost say it was better than my new Panasonic HDTV), though can be a bit of a bugger to use when looking directly towards strong sunlight. There's no viewfinder, EVF or otherwise.

There's some built-in picture storage (39MB), but if you want to take more than a handful you're going to need an SD, SDHC or SDXC type memorycard.
I've got a Sandisk 8gb SDHC card in mine, and it slots in next to the battery.

Overall it's a damn good camera if you've got the money, and it's capable of giving much bigger camera's a good kicking.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

UnBore Admin
YaBB Administrator

I'm in charge here

North Yorkshire, UK
Re: Fujifilm Finepix F550EXR - Review - Sample pictures
Reply #2 - May 11th, 2011 at 5:17am

Some sample pictures from the Fuji F550EXR.....

The Administrator.
IP Logged

UnBore Admin
YaBB Administrator

I'm in charge here

North Yorkshire, UK
Re: Fujifilm Finepix F550EXR - Review - more sample pics
Reply #3 - May 11th, 2011 at 5:22am

The Administrator.
IP Logged

UnBore Admin
YaBB Administrator

I'm in charge here

North Yorkshire, UK
Reply #4 - May 11th, 2011 at 5:30am

The Administrator.
IP Logged

UnBore Admin
YaBB Administrator

I'm in charge here

North Yorkshire, UK
Reply #5 - May 11th, 2011 at 5:34am

The Administrator.
IP Logged

UnBore Admin
YaBB Administrator

I'm in charge here

North Yorkshire, UK
Reply #6 - Oct 2nd, 2011 at 1:47am

Admittedly there could be room for improvement in the video shooting department in situations where constant adjusting of the zoom is called for, takes chuffin' ages to refocus properly

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Unbore.me.uk has changed url toan AlltheInterweb Subdomain for Archiving purposes